WHEREAS, almost 400,000 people in the US suffer from Sudden Cardiac Arrest (“SCA”) each year yet less than 10% survive; and
WHEREAS, nationwide, SCA is the number one cause of death of student athletes while participating in athletic practices and contests; and
WHEREAS, educating parents, students, coaches and officials about the symptoms and risk factors of sudden cardiac arrest is an important factor in helping prevent and respond to a SCA event; and
WHEREAS, the Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (“DIAA”) governs interscholastic athletics and is able to work in concert with experts and other agencies in the developing guidelines and sharing vital potentially lifesaving information and educational materials on SCA with student athletes, their parents and coaches.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend §303, Title 14 of the Delaware Code by making deletions as shown by strike through and insertions as shown by underline as follows:
§ 303 Rules and regulations.
(e) The Association shall, adopt rules and regulations applicable to member schools regarding student athletes and awareness, recognition, and management of sudden cardiac arrest which shall be effective no later than the 2015-2016 school year. The Association, either through rules and regulations or policy adopted pursuant thereto, at a minimum, shall:
(1) Develop and make publicly available a sudden cardiac arrest information sheet that includes information regarding the nature and warning signs of sudden cardiac arrest;
(2) Prior to participating in practice or competition, require each student athlete and the athlete's parent or guardian, sign and return a sudden cardiac arrest information sheet designed by the Association;
(3) Require each student athlete to complete a heart history questionnaire as part of the pre-participation physical examination;
(4) Hold a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (“CPR”) certification for all school appointed head coaches, which includes training on the use of an automated external defibrillator; and
(5) Present to coaches and officials Sudden Cardiac Arrest awareness information.
Approved August 25, 2014