§ 195 Division of Public Health; use of funds.
The Division of Public Health may use any money appropriated to it for the purpose of improving the health of mothers, expectant mothers and infants, for related research, and for other purposes related to the prevention and improvement of the health of mothers, expectant mothers and infants.
§ 196 Delaware Healthy Mother and Infant Consortium.
(a) The Delaware Healthy Mother and Infant Consortium ("Consortium") is hereby established and shall coordinate efforts to prevent infant mortality and improve the health of women of childbearing age and infants in the State.
(b) The Consortium's initial priorities and agenda shall be the recommendations contained in the report entitled "Reducing Infant Mortality in Delaware — Recommendations of the Infant Mortality Task Force," released in May 2005, or its successor.
(c) The Consortium will:
(1) Provide advice and support to state agencies, hospitals and health care practitioners regarding their roles in reducing infant mortality and improving the health of women of childbearing age and infants.
(2) Facilitate collaborative partnerships among public health agencies, hospitals, health care practitioners and all other interested agencies and organizations to carry out recommended infant mortality improvement strategies.
(3) Recommend standards of care to ensure healthy women of childbearing age and infants.
(4) Coordinate efforts to address health disparities related to the health of women of childbearing age and infants.
(5) Oversee development and implementation of research activities to better understand causes of infant mortality.
(6) Coordinate efforts to prevent conditions and behaviors that lead to unhealthy women of childbearing age and infants.
(7) Meet semi-annually with the Secretary of Health and Social Services to review progress, priorities, and barriers related to the Consortium's purpose.
(8) Recommend legislation and regulations that will enhance the health of women of childbearing age and infants.
(9) On an annual basis issue a report to the Governor on the status of the health of women of childbearing age and infants and progress in implementing recommendations of the Infant Mortality Task Force.
(d) The Consortium's permanent membership shall be as follows:
(1) Two representatives of the Delaware House of Representatives and 2 representatives of the Delaware State Senate (1 selected by each caucus);
(2) One representative of the Governor's office;
(3) The Secretary of the Department of Children, Youth, and Their Families, or the Secretary's designee;
(4) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services or the Secretary's designee; and
(5) Fifteen additional members approved by the Governor who shall represent the medical, social service and professional communities as well as the general public.
(e) The Consortium's permanent members may enact procedures to appoint additional persons to the Consortium. The Consortium, by rule and regulation, shall establish categories of membership, specify voting rights for each category, designate the number needed for a quorum to transact business, provide for election of officers, and adopt such procedures as are necessary to carry out the business of the Consortium.
(f) Appointees to the Consortium shall serve at the pleasure of the individual or entity that appointed them.
(g) The Consortium shall have a chair and a vice chair, to be designated from among permanent members by the Governor and who shall serve as president and vice-president at the pleasure of the Governor. Staff support for the Consortium shall be provided by the Delaware Division of Public Health.